The Bigelow Free Public Library is a member of CW MARS (Central/Western Massachusetts Automated Resource Sharing, Inc.), which is a library consortium dedicated to efficient resource sharing and rapid access to information. Currently CW MARS has more than 155 members, including public, academic, school and special libraries. CW MARS offers a shared online computer system and combined collections of more than nine million items.
To apply for a library card, you will need a photo ID with your current address or a photo ID and a piece of official mail
(i.e. a bill) with your current address.
Below are the collections and services that the
Bigelow Free Public Library offers to library patrons.
An extensive collection is accessible through our Online Catalog, where you can find books, DVDs, audio-books, eBooks – and so much more! You can make requests for items and also take care of your own library account. Read these general FAQs to find the answer to most of your questions.
- Public access computers: The library has eight computers available for public use. These computers allow internet access and are available for browsing the internet, word processing, etc..
- Wireless access: In addition to our public access computers, the library also has free wireless internet access. Please ask for the password at the front desk.
- Fax machine: Library staff can send faxes for the public. Patrons can also have faxes sent to them, using the library fax number. We just ask that you call ahead to let us know that you’re expecting a fax to come through and we’ll set it aside for you. Staff must fax documents behind the desk. The fax machine can only send from a one-sided paper in black and white. Patrons are requested to make their materials one-sided using the copy machine. Fees are currently suspended, although donations are always accepted.
- Printer/scanner/copy machine: A self-serve printer/scanner/copy machine is available for public use. Patrons may print or copy their own materials in color or black and white. Patrons are encouraged to ask for help rather than print mistakes. All printing and copying fees have been suspended, although donations are always accepted. Scanning is free, but must be sent to a patron’s email or a jump drive.
The Bigelow Free Public Library has purchased passes that offer free or reduced admission to many local museums and attractions that may be borrowed with a valid CW MARS library card. These are the passes that we currently offer.
The Library of Things is an expanding collection of items that may be borrowed from the Bigelow Free Public Library with a valid CW MARS library card (at this time, Wi-Fi Hotspots are only available to Clinton residents; all other Things may be borrowed by any customer with a valid CW MARS library card). These items expand the boundaries of traditionally defined library materials.
The library hosts a variety of free public programs, such as book talks, lectures, classes, and workshops throughout the year. Check out our calendar of events.
The Book Discussion Group typically meets on the third Tuesday of every month at 6:00 pm at the library. New members are always welcome! Visit our Tuesday Book Discussion Group page for more information about the book club and current selections.
- Are you or someone you love housebound?
- Do you love to read, but have read or listened to everything in your house?
- Do you receive Meals on Wheels?
Working in cooperation with the Clinton Council on Aging, the Bigelow Free Public Library continues to offer Books on Wheels – a program for subscribers to Meals on Wheels.
If you are a Clinton resident and are interested in getting a delivery of books or audio books, please contact Sherri (978-733-4747) at the Clinton Senior Center or Marie (978-365-4160) at the library for an application. The application includes questions about preferred topic, format and number of items, as well as name and address.
Books are delivered and picked up with meals weekly (or on a plan customized to your needs).