BIGELOW FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY
BOARD OF TRUSTEES CODE OF ETHICS
The Bigelow Free Public Library Trustees are accountable for the resources of the library as well as to see that the library provides the best possible service to members of the Clinton community and to the Town of Clinton.
Every Trustee makes a personal commitment to contribute the time and energy to faithfully carry out his/her duties and responsibilities effectively and with absolute truth, honor, and integrity.
- Trustees must distinguish clearly in their actions and statements between their personal philosophies and attitudes and the formal positions of the Board.
- Trustees shall respect the opinions of other board members, support majority decisions of the Board, and not be critical or disrespectful when they disagree or oppose a viewpoint different than their own.
- Trustees shall recognize that all authority is vested in the Board when it meets in legal session and not with individual board members.
- Trustees shall comply with all federal, state, and town laws, rules, and regulations that apply to them and to the Bigelow Free Public Library.
- Trustees, in fulfilling their responsibilities, shall not be swayed by partisan interests, public pressure or fear of criticism.
- Trustees shall not engage in discrimination of any kind and shall uphold library patrons’ rights to privacy in the use of library resources.
- Trustees must respect the confidential nature of patron and staff records and not disclose such information to anyone.
- Trustees must also be aware of and in compliance with Freedom of Information laws.
- Trustees must avoid situations in which personal interests might be served or financial benefits gained as a result of their position or access to privileged library information, for either themselves or others.
- A Trustee shall immediately disqualify him/herself whenever the appearance of or a conflict of interest exists.
- Trustees shall not use their positions to gain unwarranted privileges or advantages for themselves or others from the library or from those who do business with the library.
- Trustees shall recognize that the role of the trustees is to ensure that the Bigelow Free Public Library is well managed, not to manage the library or interfere with the management responsibilities of the director or the supervision of library staff.
- Trustees shall support the efforts of librarians in resisting censorship of library materials by groups or individuals.
- Trustees shall refer constituent or staff complaints to the library director or to the chairperson of the Board of Trustees for the latter to bring the matter before the Board.
- Trustees shall call to the attention of the Board any issues that will have an adverse effect on the Bigelow Free Public Library or those we serve.
Approved, December 17, 2015